Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Truck Driver and Trucking Forums (http://www.layover.com/forums/index.php)
-   Layover's Lounge (Archive) (http://www.layover.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   newbie asking about steven's transport ... (http://www.layover.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23372)

maineiac 05-05-2004 03:52 AM

newbie asking about steven's transport ...

am ready to take the leap,it's almost like the gauntlet has been thrown down in reading about the high turnover ect.

at any rate plan to rent house and possibly join above carrier any advice,comments?

long term goal is probably team driving as it seems a bit safer and more profitable,would another venue be a better choice?

also seeking opinon of purchasing online cdl course as a primer,recommendations?

thanks in advance

bigjake 05-05-2004 11:35 AM

Advice

at any rate plan to rent house and possibly join above carrier any advice,comments?

I take it you are going to train with them? I wouldn't make any "permanant" changes until I was 100% employed with a company.

also seeking opinon of purchasing online cdl course as a primer,recommendations?

Waste of money in my opinion.

I'll bump this back to the top.

fozzy 05-05-2004 04:02 PM

A few more answers

**am ready to take the leap,it's almost like the gauntlet has been thrown down in reading about the high turnover ect.**

Knowledge is power when it comes to surviving the first few months as a student and as a new driver. There are the 100% doom and gloom stories and the recruiter propaganda stories..in the middle somewhere is the truth! The main problem that I've heard about Steven's is that its sometimes hard to get hometime and their drivers stay out longer than most other fleets

**at any rate plan to rent house and possibly join above carrier any advice,comments?**

Why rent a house? I'm not sure I understand that one. Steven's Transport is prefectly fine to allow you to live anywhere as long as you are near a traffic lane that they service.

**long term goal is probably team driving as it seems a bit safer and more profitable,would another venue be a better choice?**

Unless you are married to the team partner the pay in teaming and the problems that are inherent with it make it just not worth it in the long run to me. And the profit in trucking for the driver is in the specialty trucking or in the local P&D, line work, and HOURLY paid trucking jobs.

**also seeking opinon of purchasing online cdl course as a primer,recommendations?**

Waste of money as far as I see it. There are so many avenues for information and the standards really are not that tough! The reading level for the materials are very low! Get the CDL manuals from your local DMV and start reading. When a question pops up...post it here or email someone here! There are online CDL permit tests here and on other sites. Try them right now! Even before you study. you will see that if you use some common sense, most of the questions can be answered. this will give you a borometer on how much you need to study and on which area's you are weaker.

Fozzy

sealord 05-05-2004 07:38 PM

Stevens

Do an archives search here, at truck.net, and ooida.com. Also check Stevens at safersys.org.
If you rent your house, where will you live and what will you use for an address for taxes, etc.?
Most states, since 9/11, now require a valid "home" address for CDL holders particularly if you have a HazMat endorsement, and you want a HazMat endorsement along with tanks, doubles and triples. BOL

maineiac 05-05-2004 09:01 PM

thanks

thanks for the info!
i meant i would rent my house here in maine as i doubt i'll start in trucking at what i'm making as an experienced nurse,and i think the place would be safer with someone in it.

re team driving....am not at alll sure i want to get married to try it out[the driving that is]

when you discuss specialty product are you speaking of perishables or haz mat stuff?

appreciate your thought s about study,
i understand maine has particularly tough req's for cdl.

blessings!!

maineiac 05-05-2004 09:09 PM

maintaining address ect

am thinking of a sort of roomate thing,cheap rent and only having to put up with the dog and i rarely.
unfortunatly lakefront property values went up 300% last year due to a decision by the town that none of us got to vote on.curiously the services haven't increased ie still no plowing trash removal,still using own well and septic. just grumping it just seems very unfair that one group of propety owner's got targeted.my income did not go up that muchlol
the tenative plan is to frame up a very basic additional room with a private entrance for nigel and i to use when we are here,have the materials just need the ambitionlol
hopefully the "roomate"would also dogsit ni while i'm in school ect

maineiac 05-05-2004 09:14 PM

hope not too jaded

i am really aware nothing is permanent,
on the other hand better to burn out than to rust.
the things i regret the most are the ones i did not try and the house won't be going anywhere soon.

ladytopcat 05-06-2004 11:13 AM

Stevens

My husband and I worked for Stevens Transport for over 2 years, first as company drivers, then as lease drivers, finally as owner/operators.

I'm not sure how much research you have done on this company or if you have talked to any of their drivers, but they are definitely a "training" company.

Their orientation is 5 days long. You start at 7am and end at 10pm. Up until 5pm you are in a classroom listening to the different speakers, filling out paperwork,etc. From 5-10pm you are out on the "pad" showing your backing skills. At some point during that 5 days you will do a road test. They usually have 30-35 people in orientation each week so it's a slow process of getting everything done in time.

I mention this because they tend to NOT tell people about the demands of their orientation and it will shock you if not prepared.

As far as driving for them, they are a refrigerated company which means a lot of grocery warehouses, meat plants and heavy loads. Their equipment is top of the line and they do a good job of keeping repairs done. They only have the one terminal in Dallas (which is where their only shop is located), although they do have drop yards in various locations and expect to spend a lot of time pulling produce out of Laredo, TX. We had no complaints about getting the miles each week, however, if you get anywhere near Dallas, expect to spend 1-3 days there. They have a very strict process you must go through in order to leave the yard again and it is time consuming because you have to chase everyone down, especially the safety department.

Home time was okay but we lived in the Dallas area. We did get to Maine once, so they do have freight that runs up there.

One last note on equipment. While their trucks DO have jake brakes now, during your training you will NOT use them and will have to go down at least 1-2 major mountains without using a jake. Many have a problem with this, but in my opinion, the knowledge is essential.

About renting out your house, it's a good idea but be mindful of where you will stay when you get home time. There are legal things you should know about, so you might want to research that, if you haven't already.

Good luck

jessewhite 05-06-2004 12:02 PM

Hey Boy

Stop asking dumb questions and get your butt on that highway and get a job

maineiac 05-06-2004 10:18 PM

thanks for your time

spoke with several people at steven's today.the only worrisome thing is they want me to head right down to texas and figure the dog thing out later.nigel weighs 98,cut off is 30lbs.Hope i did'nt
make a mistake but said no dog no go, i did offer to self insure for the dog.
we'll see tomorrow.
ps the terminal in maine is south portland.