Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Talk To A Recruiter

Talk To A Recruiter Need help finding a job? Join the discussion. We are here to answer your questions about finding the best driving job for you and further your career.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:28 AM

blushing bridgette is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Any companies not using dac?

I lost my driving job because I stopped on the road shoulder for what I considered an emergency. The company didn't think it was an emergency and has a rule not to stop. Then they put the accident that I stopped for on my dac and description: hit vehicle. Anyone seeing that thinks that I hit a vehicle. Then they put a couple non preventables on my dac as preventable. Even though when they let me go they said they were non preventable and nothing would be on my dac.When I disputed the dac they took those things off but were putting them on the job verification forms when I applied at other companies. When I disputed that then they put the things back on the dac. I love driving and want to be on the road. What can I do? Is there any companies that don't check the dac?
Old 01-13-2012, 08:28 AM

Roxanne Rambles is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any companies not using dac?

Using DAC is pretty much ONLY done by a few major carriers simply for the reason that there are so many inconsistencies. I used to post drivers' information on DAC and I had the freedom to post on there whatever my boss told me to. Some of it was ridiculous. What is popular now are those CSA and PSP scores. DAC is used mostly for verifying dates of jobs prior to the new implementation of CSA in 2010. DAC is almost useless because every single time you get pulled into a scale for anything, it is documented thereby the name of the company you're working for on that date can be identified. In addition, many carriers have quick links on their webpages nowoo and Tenstreet has taken over for many recruiting functions of Trucking companies.

DAC isn't what it used to be. But unfortunately, some use it as a negative tool.....the only way you can get anything removed is to go through USIS and appeal it (again).
Old 01-13-2012, 02:34 PM

Thanks Roxanne but it seems every trucking co. I have contacted use the dac, major or not.I will check USIS but I had disputed my dac with hire rite and they said that I could only dispute it once.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:19 PM

ghostof99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blushing bridgette View Post
Thanks Roxanne but it seems every trucking co. I have contacted use the dac, major or not.I will check USIS but I had disputed my dac with hire rite and they said that I could only dispute it once.

1. You're right blushing, DAC/USIS/Hirerite/whatever they call it now is alive and well, and finding a carrier who doesn't use it is tricky. There are thousands of them out there, but no company advertises “We don't check your DAC.”

2. The harsh truth is, it really doesn't matter that much anyway. Any carrier, large or small, who hires you is legally bound to do a background check, and any negative information is highly likely to reveal itself during that process. If you lie on an app, hoping that you'll be ok because they won't check DAC, you're probably going to be embarrassed... and unemployed.

3.If the information your prior company provides is truthful, there is absolutely nothing you can do to make them change it.

4. If it is a lie, then the best thing to do is contact them directly and demand they remove it. If they have any sense at all, they will. If they refuse, that's the best thing that ever happened to you. You get a tort lawyer and get wealthy without ever having to smell another diesel fume.

Frankly, your OP doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense (you stopped by the side of the road and they reported that as a “preventable accident?”) Sorry, but that's pretty hard to buy. But if it's true, it's simple enough... lawyer up.

Again, whatever happened, if you were wronged by your previous employer, and they refuse to make it right, sue their butts. You'll win easily, and it won't cost you an out of pocket dime – any lawyer will take that case on a contingency basis. If, on the other hand, what you're trying to do is revise history to make it appear more favorable to you, or hide your past, you're wasting your time.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:37 PM

Ghost, the company I drove for had a rule that I was told about when I started driving for them. Don't stop on the side of the road or you are fired except for emergencies. But I stopped because of what I thought was an emergency. They put the incident on my dac using a description that is inaccurate. And that is the big problem. If they simply put stopped on roadside I wouldnt be upset about it because every company doesnt have their rule. And they put non-preventables on my dac as preventables after telling me that they were non preventables. Im not trying to get away with something. They shouldn't be ruining my life. I was a good driver. I loved working for the company and was loyal to them. They should have tried making it work more but of course a student would run my miles for less money and thats probably what it boils down too. Companies shouldn't let good employees go though.Believe me I have checked with attorneys and when they hear the company name they won't take the case.Like the company is immune.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:02 PM

juno_hoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ghost, the company I drove for had a rule that I was told about when I started driving for them. Don't stop on the side of the road or you are fired except for emergencies. But I stopped because of what I thought was an emergency. They put the incident on my dac using a description that is inaccurate. And that is the big problem. If they simply put stopped on roadside I wouldnt be upset about it because every company doesnt have their rule. And they put non-preventables on my dac as preventables after telling me that they were non preventables. Im not trying to get away with something. They shouldn't be ruining my life. I was a good driver. I loved working for the company and was loyal to them. They should have tried making it work more but of course a student would run my miles for less money and thats probably what it boils down too. Companies shouldn't let good employees go though.Believe me I have checked with attorneys and when they hear the company name they won't take the case.Like the company is immune.

What, specifically, did they "tell you" was a non-preventable that turned out to be preventable?

You said non-preventables so that sounds plural to me? How many were there?

How did they know that you stopped along the roadway if you were only there briefly? I can't believe that a company would let a top knotch driver go for a brief stop along the road...

Sorry, something doesn't ring true and it seems like you are being deliberately vague.
I don't mean this as a putdown but if you explained things to USIS/DAC the way you're explaining it here, I can see why your record is still messed up.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:29 PM

There's not enough room here for all the details and without revealing my identity to some people. But I stopped for a reason and it was for 10 mins. and yes this company has enough students to let people go on a whim.I stopped for an emergency, they weren't there.Companies that I spoke with will hire me but only if I drive for another company for 6 months.But since all the companies I've spoke with say that, where is one that will let me drive? I didn't post here to tell everyone my business, only to find out what companies don't act like the dac is gospel. Because the description on my dac is inaccurate and misleading. I never once even put a scratch or ding on a truck or trailer but I have been prevented from driving for a b.s reason.And when you tell the dac companies that you want to dispute the report, they only contact the employer and if the employer won't change it then it doesn't get changed.From the start people told me that company was no good but I gave them a chance, they shouldn't let people go so easy.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:13 AM

ghostof99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Believe me I have checked with attorneys and when they hear the company name they won't take the case.Like the company is immune.
C'mon Blushing, that doesn't even pass the giggle test... Wal-Mart, Exxon Mobil, Bank of America, and even the United States Government have all been successfully sued. The idea that any trucking company is so powerful that it has some sort of King's X immunity to the court system is absurd.

Blushing, I suspect that your council was saying that YOU didn't have a case. Otherwise, they would have been on it like a truck driver on a breakfast buffet, no matter how big the company. In fact, the bigger the better – deep pockets, ya know?
Old 01-14-2012, 03:07 PM

Ghost, well I sure did giggle reading your post. Actually I think it is more that companies don't have to have reason to fire someone. I just want inaccurate info off my dac. The dac place said I can only file a dispute one time, I think I should be able to dispute it as many times as necessary. If you read my original post, you will see what happened with the dispute.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:13 PM

juno_hoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ghost, well I sure did giggle reading your post.
Giggling is good for you but the truth is, Ghost nailed it in posts # 4 & 8 above. Your comments about the lawyer thing and immunity are laughable. Even without using a bad DAC, any company worth a darn is going to check your background with previous employers and find that you were canned. They have no choice according to this.

Quote:
Actually I think it is more that companies don't have to have reason to fire someone.
That's correct. Unless we have a contract, we can be fired for just about any reason. You can read about it here but, judging from what you've posted, I believe the company had a reason for firing you and it sure wasn't just for spending 10 minutes alongside the road. The company gains nothing by letting a good driver go and replacing them with new meat unless you were at the top of the pay scale and I seriously doubt that you were. The cost of recruiting, hiring and training a newb supposedly runs in excess of $5k and they would gain nothing by letting you go... unless you screwed up a few times.

Quote:
I just want inaccurate info off my dac. The dac place said I can only file a dispute one time, I think I should be able to dispute it as many times as necessary. If you read my original post, you will see what happened with the dispute.

There is no doubt that you feel the information is inaccurate, but just because you "feel" it is inaccurate (every driver does, no?) doesn't make it so. What is the point of rebutting something -- over and over -- that has already been investigated? Is DAC supposed to send your rebuttal to your previous employer until they change their mind? I don't think so.

The rebuttal process works like this (my emphasis) --

Quote:
If an entry is incorrect, begin by contacting the employer that provided the information you believe to be incorrect. Chances are good they'll be willing to correct it immediately; especially if you left their employ on good terms. If not you'll need to contact DAC Services and formally dispute it. Normally, DAC will provide a dispute form with your report copy. If they didn't you can contact them and request one or write a letter stating your reason for disputing the information.

When writing your dispute letter; be calm, courteous and professional. To be successful you must be specific and stick strictly to the facts in dispute. A copy will be forwarded to the company along with any other supporting documents you may have included (and, if at all possible, DO include supporting documents). If the previous employer can't verify the disputed item or items in question as being legitimate and correct then DAC is required, under the FCRA, to remove those items from your report. The previous employer has 15 days to respond to a driver's request for a correction of erroneous information.

Within five days of the conclusion of the investigation into the dispute, you must be provided with a copy of the corrected report and may request to have the corrected report sent to anyone who has seen the incorrect report within the last six months.

If the company is able to verify the information as correct it will not be removed from the report. In that case you'll be able to include a rebuttal statement on your report. This statement, the facts of the case as you see them, then becomes a permanent part of the record; allowing everyone who orders the report to read your side of the issue. If you, as a truck driver, choose to submit a rebuttal, and you've been denied employment based on your DAC report, your previous employer has 5 days to forward the rebuttal statement to the prospective employer and add a copy of the rebuttal statement to your permanent employment record.
You, DAC, and your previous employer all did your respective parts and your current DAC seems to hint that you were in the wrong because the negative incidents are still on the report. Just your word that, "They told me that such and such was not a preventable!" will not cut it. It is either happened or it didn't; it is either a preventable or it isn't. It's just about that simple. But even a company that doesn't use DAC is going to find out that your were canned and I doubt that they will hire you.

I really think you have two choices if you want to drive again:

- Find some podunk company, put in a personal appearance, level with them about why you were let go and hope like hell that they hire you or. Being female gives you an edge...

- Smooch it up with your precious employer and beg for a second chance. Build a clean record with them, clear your DAC and then slip off to another company while still employed. I've seen this work for a guy with my first company.

We do wish you luck but I don't think you'll have much because you keep recycling the same old vague story and embellishing it with more unbelievable details like "immunity."