Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Talk To A Recruiter

Talk To A Recruiter Need help finding a job? Join the discussion. We are here to answer your questions about finding the best driving job for you and further your career.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:48 PM

Roxanne Rambles is on a distinguished road
Default Getting back into trucking

Has anyone here tried to get back into driving a truck after being off the road for awhile? It isn't so easy. It appears that even the training companies won't take you after a refresher course. What suggestions do you experienced drivers have for others trying to get back into the seat of a truck?

RR
Old 11-24-2011, 08:03 AM

i_killed_layover is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Getting back into trucking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxanne Rambles View Post
Has anyone here tried to get back into driving a truck after being off the road for awhile? It isn't so easy. It appears that even the training companies won't take you after a refresher course. What suggestions do you experienced drivers have for others trying to get back into the seat of a truck?

RR
I suggest they phony up a resume which patches the holes in their driving career. It isn't hard, and most companies, and particurlarly recruiters for those companies, are too lazy and stupid to notice, much less check.

But seriously...

hello Roxanne. I don't doubt what you're saying is true (we've heard it plenty of times before) but I've never really understood why. Obviously, an experienced driver who's been “off the road for awhile” can restore driving skills in a short time (bicycle theory) while it takes much longer for the average, or even exceptional noob to learn them.

On the other hand, it could be that most who have been “off the road for a while” are damaged goods anyway, and didn't leave the game... uh... voluntarily? In the archives of this forum there are many stories of drivers who drove a short while, had wrecks, tickets, etc., and got canned. After that they either became discouraged and decided driving wasn't for them... or nobody else was stupid enough to hire them, they were forced to look elsewhere, probably bombed at that too - and now they long for the “lifestyle.” It's pretty easy to see why the welcome mat isn't out for them, refresher course or not.

Or... perhaps big companies have done some research which indicates that if they'd quit once, they are more likely to quit again?

Or... maybe training companies get a government stipend or tax credit for training a noob, but don't for a “returnee?”

Those are only blind guesses – I really have no idea. Do you? Are you one who has been away awhile, and had a hard time getting a driving job?

As for advice about getting “back in the seat,” all I can offer is the obvious – persistence. If the biggies won't hire you, try smaller outfits, go in person, and sell yourself. I'd also suggest that getting an “X” endorsement would be a good move. Not every driver can get and keep it, and not only does it tell any potential employer that you're sort of “government approved,” it seems more and more of the driving jobs I see in local newspapers call for them.

Maybe I'm wrong (again) and, if so, I hope one of the three people (counting drunks and multiple personalities) who still participate on this forum will let me know. But, even in this sluggish economy, I'd think nearly anybody with a CDL, a serviceable pair of flip-flops, and a sincere desire can get a driving job.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:12 PM

michigankid is on a distinguished road

This is the exact situation im in now..I started driving in 2000,but in '09 I was a team driver with my other half,when she became sick,we had to come off the road..She is not looking to go back,and I cant seem to find a Driving job(other than working for local farmers)..I have a clean mvr,9 years of experience,but no otr in the last 2 years..Any ideas??
Old 01-30-2012, 02:39 PM

ceesimmrun is on a distinguished road

"hi R R " i read your piece on getting behind the wheel again, i myself have been trying for two years, the companies i spoke to tells me i should get a refreshers course then call back, i went to two schools they want me to be hooked up to the company first then get the course. i have worked for several companies since leaving trucking school in 1981 until march of 2005 when i hurt my shoulder and needed an operation, while i was out re-cooping the company i was with lost it's contract so they let all the drivers in my department go. i have a P/A class A license with all the endorsement. i have a good driving record and i am eager to work so i wont stop trying.

li'l Boy Blue Philadelphia P A
Old 05-06-2012, 03:48 PM

python12 is on a distinguished road

ive been off the road since dec 2010 because of a accident i had as a student driver with werner enterprises.i know i need a refresher course...but any who uhmm....every company want bout 6 months otr to drive for them...do you know any company willing to give me a chance...tried cr england,crst,central,us xpress.i love being on the road even though i have a family itz what i love to do..so any suggestions will be highly apprciated
Old 05-11-2012, 05:18 PM

mldes is on a distinguished road

Hi Roxanne - I read your post, and I have been through the same situation. As someone on this thread tried to infer, you are NOT "damaged goods". Don't listen to that type of malarkey. You have a CDL and that makes you a valuable commodity. There are tons of companies who are desperate for drivers with a huge shortage nationwide, so don't give up. I know for a fact that Knight Refrigerated out of Phoenix accepts someone with a refresher course to get you back driving. I also know Maverick Transportation out of Little Rock has just started a student driver program for those who have their CDL but limited experience. Good luck to you, and don't listen to the naysayers. Never give up your fight, for it only takes one person to say "Yes" to you.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:05 AM

JW IN THE DESERT is on a distinguished road

After almost 30 years in Telecom, I'm going to make the attempt, once again, to get back into driving. Current Class A CDL with ALL endorsements, current DOT medical card, clean DMV printout, no accidents, no tickets, no DUI's. Guess what? NOBODY CARES.-JW
Old 05-12-2012, 11:08 AM

ghostof99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW IN THE DESERT View Post
After almost 30 years in Telecom, I'm going to make the attempt, once again, to get back into driving. Current Class A CDL with ALL endorsements, current DOT medical card, clean DMV printout, no accidents, no tickets, no DUI's. Guess what? NOBODY CARES.-JW
If by that you mean that you're having trouble finding work, I noticed there is what appears to be a pretty active recruiter who's posted a bit lately. Just a thought, ya' know?

I haven't driven in several years, but have also kept the cdl, endorsements and all. You know, something to fall back on in case... Last time I thought it was a bit of a pain compared to in the past, and you're making me wonder if it just ain't worth the effort anymore. Anyway, best of luck.

*spaceghost, if you see this, suggest you post something in the women's or politics section. The mods can't remove those.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:48 AM

scubaghost is on a distinguished road

I know of a company that only requires 6 months in the last 5 years or 18 months in the last 10 years. The pay isn't the best in the industry but the trucks are new and they are hiring now. Good place to start again. Benefits. apu's.

Last edited by Roxanne Rambles; 05-23-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: taking out email
Old 05-14-2012, 02:44 PM

MikeC1971 is on a distinguished road

I've been out of a truck for 6 years and was lucky enough to get hired with a smaller company that is willing to refresh me while getting paid regular driver pay. Sounds like I lucked out.