Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Talk To A Recruiter

Talk To A Recruiter Need help finding a job? Join the discussion. We are here to answer your questions about finding the best driving job for you and further your career.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:08 PM

Camry3s is on a distinguished road
Default OTR jobs/ living in south florida

I've read on other forums that south florida is the black hole of trucking. I'm a lil bit inclined to believe that for the simple fact that on the highways down here almost every truck i see is an o/o. If it's not an o/o it's a Werner. I'm 25, i've just finished a degree in Air Traffic Control. The FAA will probably take a year to year and a half to hire me because that's just how fast they work. Truck driving is something i've always wanted to do as a kid and i've been on the road twice with family or friends who are drivers but when i was much younger. There is a CDL school down here that works with a few of the big fleets. What i'm tryin to see is should i spend the time and money going to school down here or should i call companies/recruiters and see where they are actually hiring? Most sites show their hiring area ends usually up by I-10. Only company that might hire further south in florida i'd assume would be FFE because they have the winter haven, fl location. I do have family in New York and Houston that i could technically "live" at for employment purposes but i'd rather stay in south florida. What should i do if i want to get into this field and still live in south florida. Anyone down here hiring drivers wants 1 year otr experience minimum...(fedex ups cocacola furniture stores etc.) thanks ahead of time.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

joellyrollj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OTR jobs/ living in south florida

Maybe you can get some help at We Place Drivers
Old 01-31-2012, 01:14 PM

georgiagirl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to georgiagirl
Default Re: OTR jobs/ living in south florida

South Florida is indeed the black hole of trucking. I guess it depends upon where you live in South Florida. Tampa and Miami are probably two of the "hotter" spots in the area for trucking. There is alot of logging companies as well - more towards Central Florida. Trucking is not always about running OTR. Some people actually prefer the local gigs.

I know of companies from Orlando North --- but none of Orlando South who are hiring right now. Doesn't mean there aren't any, it just means that they may be harder to find.