Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Trucking Personals (Archive)

Old 03-18-2005, 08:45 PM
austinjenn

Default Lot Lizzards in Texas???

Hi Drivers!

This is a strange request, I know I know, but I am starting reasrch for a project on Lot Lizards, and I am wondering which stops in Texas are the best places to find ladies to interview. Any help that you could give me is much appreciated. Please feel free to e-mail me at austinphtotojenn@hotmail.com.

I admire the work that you do and what it does for our country.

Thank you.

Jennifer
Old 03-19-2005, 01:29 AM
tndriver

Default Here lizzard lizzard lizzard

To be honest, I've never been bothered by them... However I was approached by one in a rest area with her boyfreind in a car near by. I suspected a setup and wanted nothing to do with it... Never had before, so why start now, huh ?

If you really want to find one... just get yourself a 40 channel walkie talkie or a cheap CB and just listen for the girls hollering for a driver wanting company... I'm sure you'll be able to get all the material you want.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:29 AM
crusinangel

Default Jennifer

A couple things are going through my mind here. I have green eyes like a cat and while curiosity might kill me someday,I don't think today's the day so I'm gonna ask away!!

A project you say? What type of "project"? A book? A documentary? A term paper? A thesis perhaps?

What ultimate ends do you see to justify your means?In other words, what do you hope to accomplish when all of your research and your "project" are complete?

Is your interest in "working girls in trucking" aka "lot lizzards" an honest and perhaps even honorable one? An interest that perhaps upon completion of your "project" will benefit the trucking industry or benefit the "lot lizzards" you are researching? Or, is your "project" one for personal gain?

And now, a little food for thought for you...........

Be careful out there! If you are venturing out alone (and from your post I am assuming you are since you said "I am" researching NOT "we are")keep in mind it's a dangerous world! be prepared to "fight off" the dangers of approaching these "lot lizzards" and sometimes the men who "protect" them. You're also going to find a few truckers in the bunch who will treat you less than honorably.

If you haven't done so already, take a self-defense course! And muster up all the common sense you can before you venture out into the night on your research quest!!

Old 03-19-2005, 09:32 AM
austinjenn

Default Powerful questions...

Crusin' Angel, Thanks so much for your post. The issues
that you raise are powerful and important. About 9 years
ago I did my first real project: "A Tribute to America's
Truck Drivers." I saved money waitressing and then hit the
road to photograph drivers as a way of hopefully telling a
slice of their story and addressing some of the
misconceptions that people had about drivers. (When I
grew up, drivers were the heros of the road.) I met some
amazing people, and made a photo essay. Petro ended up
buying the pictures and making a traveling photo exhibit
that went around to 20 or so Petro truck stops. They did
pay me! I was thrilled. Although I had saved, I also put my
expenses on a credit card, and I was able to pay those off
though I never profited financially from the project. All of
my projects are like that. I guess as odd as it sounds, my
honest to goodness passion is for telling people's stories
through photographs and words, in an effort to better
understand each other, and always I attempt to do so with
respect and compassion. I now make a modest living
doing portraits of families, weddings and the like. I live in
a rented apartment and drive an 11 year old car. I've come
to realize that my American Dream is to tell people's
stories, whether it makes any money or not. It's a choice
I've made, so don't get me wrong! I like my 11 year old
car, and my rented apartment! I think your questions are
powerful becuase they raise a core issue of our
responsibility to each other. Are we our brother's keepers?
My answer is YES!!! I have also started a non-profit with
another photographer which sells prints and donates the
proceeds to charity. It will launch in a few months and it is
called www.picturingchange.org. My intentions I hope are
decent. I really do try. Thanks for the warnings about self
defense too. When I was on the road with drivers years
ago I did meet some working ladies. I'd love to have the
help of drivers again. So maybe there is someone out
there who reads this and is moved to help and who comes
through Texas? Please e-mail me if this is you. Thanks
again for your thoughtful reply. Take good care. Jennifer!�Crusin' Angel, Thanks so much for your post. The issues that you raise are powerful and important. About 9 years ago I did my first real project: "A Tribute to America's Truck Drivers." I saved money waitressing and then hit the road to photograph drivers as a way of hopefully telling a slice of their story and addressing soem of the misconceptions that people had about drivers. (When I grew up, drivers were the heros of the road.) I met some amazing people, and made a photo essay. Petro ended up buying the and making a traveling photo exhibit that went around to 20 or so Petro truck stops. They did pay me! I was thrilled. Although I had saved, I also put my expenses on a credit card, and I was able to pay those off though I never profited financially from the project. All of my projects are like that. I guess as odd as it sounds, my honest to God passion is for telling people's stories through photographs and words, in an effort to better understand each other, and always I attempt to do so with respect and compassion. I now make a modest living doing portraits of families, weddings and the like. I live in a rented apartment and drive an 11 year old car. I've come to realize that my American Dream is to tell people's stories, whether it makes any money or not. It's a choice I've made, so don't get me wrong! I like my 11 year old car, and my rented apartment! I think your questions are powerful it raises a core issue of our to each other. Are we our brother's keepers? My answer is YES!!! I have also started a non-profit with another photographer which sells prints and donates the proceeds to charity. It will launch in a few months and it is called www.picturingchange.org. My intentions I hope are decent. I really do try. Thanks for the warnings about self defense too. When I was on the road with drivers years ago I did meet some working ladies. I'd love to have the help of drivers again. So maybe there is someone out there who reads this and is moved to help? Please e-mail me if this is you. Thanks again for your thoughtful reply. Jennifer!
Old 03-19-2005, 09:34 AM
austinjenn

Default Sorry about the double post!

Not sure how that happened!!! It looks like I worte a book!

Sorry bout that.

Jennifer
Old 03-19-2005, 10:20 AM
crusinangel

Default And powerful reply!

Thanx for sharing so much of yourself with all of us Jennifer.();-)

Often, we enter into internet exchanges with each other with alot of scepticism and rightfully so.Too many times people present a positive front with a negative ulterior motive.

Like I said in my earlier post, I enter any forum discussion with a tad bit of scepticism and a whole lot of curiosity!This turned out to be one of the times when I'm glad I did! :)

I'll e-mail you later today with some hopefully helpful information for you but in the meantime I'd like to say...

Photojournalism is an excellent way to "tell a story". A picture paints 1000 words so they say and can be as powerful or more so than the written or spoken word.

Many years ago, in the 70s and 80s a photojournalist named Milton Rogovin did a photoseries of the American Steel Worker in Western, New York where I hail from. My husband and our family were included in this project.Eventually Milton paired up with a college professor and journalist named Michael Frisch. Together they compiled a book titled "Portraits In Steel". This work has been presented many times in many forums across the country and has , a couple of times, been shown at our National Library in Washington, DC.My husband passed away before completion of the book and Mike Frisch dedicated the book to him.Works like this raise human consciousness and present the human factor to an often misunderstood issue.The work of these 2 men and my part in their efforts inspired me many years ago to compile a couple of works of my own.

I wish you well in your quest and will be looking forward to seeing the "end result"out there!();-)

Old 03-19-2005, 12:45 PM
ibnurdreamz

Default ?????

CA I sent you an email that you never answered. Did you get it?????
Old 03-20-2005, 09:21 AM
austinjenn

Default THANK YOU!

Crusin' Angel~

Thank you. I was really touched to get your response and also to hear about your experience with the Steel Workers Project. I'm going to see if I can get the book!

I'm also very sorry to hear about the loss of your husband.

I'd love any insights or advice you can give, so e-mail me anytime...

Thanks again. I'm grateful for our exchange!

Jennifer

P.S. I now have a few leads in Houston but am also looking closer to Austin, anywhere along 1-35, between Buda and Waco. Anyone out there have any ideas? thank you!
Old 03-20-2005, 08:51 PM
road_wrangler

Default Jenn

I will share this with you. First off thank you for your efforts to share a story of how our lives are out here.

If you wish to truly interview these lizards first off good luck. From my experiences with these characters of the night out there here is where I have been mostly approached. The Pilot or Flying J in dallas. Any of the truck stops in Laredo or El paso. Elsewhere around the country I have been woke up by that middle of the night knock in Indianapolis, at the flying j or the pilot. Also the TA in albuquergue. These have been the most common areas which I have had run ins with these parties. Personally I think it's absolutely disgusting. Secondly that a man on the road has to stoop to a point to purchase himself potential death. Well I think that pretty much says it all.

So good luck with your interviews and I hope you do manage to write your story. I will be interested in reading it once you get it edited. You say you have wrote other things about this industry. I am sure we would all be interested in reading this. Do you have a link so we can read these? Good luck.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:17 PM
austinjenn

Default Thanks Road Wrangler!

Thanks R.W. for the info!! It is a huge help!

I will try to build a site in the next couple of months where I can post my driver photos and also the pices that ran in Trucker's News. I can't belive it has been almost 10 years! Makes me feel old!

You all have been so helpful...it made me remember vividly how much I enjoyed being around drivers, and what a good group you are.

I will also keep this site posted about the lot lizards project. I hope to begin next week.

Thanks again!

Jenn