Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Women in Trucking (Archive)

Old 09-06-2005, 04:45 PM
truckingmom

Default Age 20 New CDL

My daughter is graduating from a local trucking school in two weeks, and is having a hard time finding any prospects since she's 20 years old. She wants to stay local if possible...we are from Dublin, GA. If you have any advice for us, please let us know. Thanks
Old 09-08-2005, 01:56 AM
georgiagirl

Default Dublin, GA

I am from Macon, GA. Hiya neighbor. What trucking school is she attending? The normal age is 21 for a CDL I thought?

Anyway, she might want to check out Best Buy warehouse for a job on the property there until she's old enough to drive back and forth between Dublin and Macon or Dublin and Savannah hauling containers. There's a couple of small truck stops in Dublin where there is probably a bulletin board of sorts. However, getting a good paying stable local job is NOT going to be easy because she doesn't have any experience and is not old enough according to many company's policies.

There are more than likely several dump truck operations and I know that Howard Sheppard out of Jeffersonville does some local tractor-trailer work for the chalk mines but the hours **** and so does the pay (she'll be lucky to clear $300/week). There's also a couple of local jobs in Macon that pay "OKAY" (enough for a 20 year old anyway), but I am not sure they would hire her until she's 23 with 1-2 years OTR experience.

Maybe she can drive a school bus or a straight truck until she's old enough to actually get some experience. More often than not, you have to do the OTR type of driving for at least a year before the local jobs will even look at ya'. It's unfortunate, but it's reality. In our area, local trucking jobs (other than driving a dump truck or working in chalk mines) is very competitive.

Good luck and email me at: dawnr@layover.com if you want to talk further.

BOL
GG
Old 09-27-2005, 02:21 AM
truckinusa

Default school bus driving is definitely an option

I drove a school bus for quite a while after I turned 18 and it was great. I got experience and was home everyday. Most trucking companies insurance is the problem. 23 seems to be about the norm for hiring a cdl driver. Some require 25 at most. There are companies that hire drivers with less experience than that though. It seems like dump truck companies and farm related companies are the only people that would even consider a 20 year old. Maybe haul carnival rides too. I did that and they aren't very picky.