Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Women Truck Drivers

Women Truck Drivers Our local discussion forum for women in the trucking industry.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:04 PM

catbird1 is on a distinguished road
Default ride alongs?

hey everyone, I'm new. I'm a 23 year old and woman currently in the military. I'm deployed until next spring but I am getting out of the military when we get back. I've always wanted to do the truck driving thing, love the open road, and because of the military, have moved a nomadic, traveling life. It kinda makes sense to me.

anyway I was wondering if there was some sort ride along program... I wouldn't even mind if there was little or no pay -- I just want to get a feel for the job field, before I make any big committments. I know there are a few companies that are good on military hiring (JB Hunt and Schneider are 2, there's one more though I think, starts with a W I believe...)

anyway yeah I would definately want to do a ride along one summer to see if it's for me (I wish the military had ride alongs! ) so if I am just crazy let me know or if there's something like that out there, let me know.

thanks!
Old 09-08-2007, 12:22 AM

ldtransp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ride alongs?

You posted your question some time ago.

I have not heard of "rider" programs for those who plan to work for a company other than those for wives, children (over a certain age), or significant others with the consent of the company.

Riders are not paid to ride in the truck.

There is usually a charge to the driver for having a rider, which is for insurance to cover the rider in the event of injury or accident.

If you know a truck driver who is willing to take a rider along, he/she will need to contact his/her carrier and take care of things from that end before you ever get on the truck. Riding on a truck in violation of a company's policies will get the actual driver fired and an entry on the DAC for having had an unauthorized rider on board in violation of stated rules.... etc.

No, you will not be allowed to drive the truck. If something unfortunate was to happen and you were driving, the real driver would be fired and a really bad entry made on his/her DAC report that could make it impossible for him/her to be hired elsewhere, at least not anywhere with decent pay and benefits. The liability aspect is something you don't even want to think about because the settlements are huge and the company you ride with would be liable, but worse, they could take action against you for being an unqualified driver. Yes, they can sue you! Worse, they can insist that you be taken to jail...

If you want to find out about trucking, do some research on it via the net, of course, but also go out and visit some truck stops and talk to the women drivers you meet there. Buying them a cup of coffee and chatting with them will help you learn a lot more than listening to a recruiter.

BTW, I do not drive a truck. I own two of them. My husband drives one and his buddy drives the other. We are "contracted" to a large carrier. The DOT has rules about folks with bad eyesight or I would be driving our third truck.

Dianne

DRL / ldtransp

Last edited by ldtransp; 09-08-2007 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:29 AM

spilledcoffee is on a distinguished road

Like you I'm new to Layover also, but have been driving for years... There's a lot of good information in here to read, but there is also a lot of B/S... For someone that is new it's hard to sort out what is true... I've never heard of a sponsored program for riders, so don't be taken in on some drivers plan to get you in his or her truck... Happens all too often... You say that you will be deployed until next year, well that gives you plenty of time to make some good friends with drivers and maybe they can you get approved to ride with them to show you what actually goes on out here... This job isn't for everyone, that's for sure... Good luck to you and be careful overthere... Would like to have you back here with us...
Old 10-29-2010, 07:50 PM

calvin246 is on a distinguished road

hi i would like a ride with a truck driver out to edmonton alberta canada plz email me or call me at 705-458-4693 you would make me very happy if i can get a ride out there with a truck driver
Old 10-31-2010, 09:08 PM

ibeeatingu is on a distinguished road

You can ride with me anytime!
Old 03-10-2011, 07:49 AM

godwin is on a distinguished road

Hey I like to drive a truck. But I didnt have license to drive. Can I come along with any truck drivers while they go for drive.