Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Women Truck Drivers

Women Truck Drivers Our local discussion forum for women in the trucking industry.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:29 AM

ironangel is on a distinguished road
Smile rider program

Im starting school in a few weeks and I was wondering about rider programs. I have two kids and I would like to take them along on occassion. Is this possible and do many people bring their kids along? Im a single mom and Im very close to my kids we've discussed this career and they understand Mom has to work, I was laid off money is about to run out for unemployment so I have to do this, plus I enjoy driving. My kids are asking if they could ride in my truck and I have told them we'll see. I have been told it would be fine, I read about a family homeschooling their child on the road, Im not sure I want to go that far but I would certainly like to take them along on occassion. I was told Iwould just have to pay a small fee and sign a waiver. can anyone one give me some insite.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:10 AM

perrylane is on a distinguished road
Default Re: rider program

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironangel View Post
Im starting school in a few weeks and I was wondering about rider programs. I have two kids and I would like to take them along on occassion. Is this possible and do many people bring their kids along? Im a single mom and Im very close to my kids we've discussed this career and they understand Mom has to work, I was laid off money is about to run out for unemployment so I have to do this, plus I enjoy driving. My kids are asking if they could ride in my truck and I have told them we'll see. I have been told it would be fine, I read about a family homeschooling their child on the road, Im not sure I want to go that far but I would certainly like to take them along on occassion. I was told Iwould just have to pay a small fee and sign a waiver. can anyone one give me some insite.
Hi Ironangel, yes some companys allow it. You have to pay a fee and have to sign up who is riding. Ages differ from 10-12 up to 18or older.
You will not be able to do this until you have competed your training.
while you are in school ask some of the Companys that are looking to hire you what there policies are.
Hope this helped.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:08 PM

thegodfather is on a distinguished road

Remember u are only allowed to take one child at a time.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:14 AM

sept_never_ends is on a distinguished road

Girl, there are a lot more of us "Mother Truckers" out here than you'd think. My kids do their best to understand. I try to talk to them and help with homework and send post cards or little gifts whenever I can. It will be so very hard and take super strength to remember your longterm goals when all you want to do is run home to them.

Home-schooling on the road...I don't think it really qualifies for trucking. Sometimes the school can work with you and set you up with lessons for a week or two if that's what you meant. Keep in mind it is stressful and hard enough your first few weeks, and months on your own, just trying to do your job and take care of yourself. I don't know how old your kids are, but maybe at first you can just take them on "practice" runs like when you're passing by home on your last run before home-time. It's a lot more pleasant for everyone if you can find out your child loses interest after 30min when your a night or two from home than weeks from home.

Just focus on taking care of yourself at first and talking to other parents who have their kids in truckstops. I guess you really gotta feel this one out on your own based on your particular company's policies and children's personalities. May I suggest in the meantime, you set them and you up with computers with webcams so that you can help them with homework or if they're younger, read them bedtime stories?

Good luck. When and where do you plan to start schooling?

I love to keep in touch with other female truckers and would like to exchange further contact info later on.

Last edited by sept_never_ends; 05-17-2010 at 03:18 AM.